Ashley J. Gunter
2021 *in progress* Moore College of Art and Design. MFA Socially Engaged Studio Art. Philadelphia, PA
2013 Pratt Institute, B.F.A. Art and Design Education Brooklyn, NY
2009 University of the District of Columbia, Washington, D.C.
2008 Potomac School. McLean, VA
August 2017 - June 2019 Visual Arts Teacher. National Cathedral School. Washington, D.C.
- Develops and implements art curriculum for 4th - 6th grade students.
- Collaborates with other art educators to produce annual art show
- Presented at Lausanne Learning Institute “Gaining STEAM” conference
March 2016 - September 2017 Teaching Artist. F.H. Faunteroy Community Enrichment Center. Washington, D.C.
- Develops and teaches art projects for afterschool program
August 2015- June 2017 Visual Arts Teacher. Friends Community School, College Park, MD
- Designs and teaches Visual Arts curriculum for 3rd- 8th grade
- Develops curriculum map for Visual Arts department
- Manages materials and budget for Art Department
- Mentors young leaders that develop community building activities and events for middle school
- Plans field trips and invites professional artists on campus to enrich learning
- Collaborates with educators to produce a school-wide Arts Night featuring student artwork and musical performances
August 2014-June 2015 Long Term Substitute Art Teacher. National Cathedral School. Washington, D.C.
- Instructed unit plans that engage 4-6 grade students in art history, techniques, and material exploration
- Collaborated with faculty to develop strategies to address students’ learning and social concerns
- Communicated with families to support students
- Invited to deliver homily for school’s chapel service and closing ceremony
August -December 2013 Teaching Artist. Art Works Studio School, Mt. Rainier, MD
- Created & taught social justice themed art curriculum for ages 6-14
- Collaborated with art educators to develop curriculum for after-school program
- Managed classrooms with 20-60 students
- Taught variety of techniques, medium, and media including but not limited to ceramics, drawing, painting, and printmaking
January-May 2013 Student Teacher. Urban Assembly Academy of Arts and Letters, Brooklyn, NY
- Taught middle school art classes with lessons ranging from observation drawing, surrealist paintings, and collage
- Wrote & instructed original lesson plans within NYS visual arts standards
October 2012- May 2013 Teaching Artist’s Assistant. Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, Learning Through Art, New York, NY
- Worked with individual students and small groups, facilitated exploration of ideas during art inquiries and projects
- Exceeded expectations by collaborating with Teaching Artist to create projects
September 2010-May 2013 Tutor. America Reads/Counts, Brooklyn, NY
- Aided students (ages 5-12) with homework after school
- Helped teachers with classroom management
June-August 2012 Assistant Teaching Artist. Weeksville Heritage Center, Brooklyn, NY
- Prepared art workshops for youth and adult groups
- Exceeded expectations by creating community focused art workshop which was added to museum education program
October 2011- April 2012 Saturday Art School at Pratt Institute, Teacher. Brooklyn, NY
- Taught students printmaking, self-portraiture and color theory and explored techniques in collage, printmaking, drawing, and sculpture
- Creates curricula that includes imaginative lessons, art history lectures, and assessment.
- Uses variety of techniques to engage with students appropriately.
- Painting, drawing, relief printmaking, some ceramics, some digital photography
- Responsive Classroom & Developmental Design
2018 Heritage: Now. DC Arts Center. Washington, D.C.
2018 BODIES. Otis Street Arts Project. Mt. Rainier, MD
2018 We Got Next: Young Contemporaries. D.C. Commission for Arts & Humanities. Washington, D.C.
2017 Trascendence. Galerie Kritiku. Prague, CZ
2017 Process & Practice. DC Arts Center. Washington, DC
2016 Radical Re-Imaginings, Woolly Mammoth Theatre Company. Washington, D.C.
2016 Hashtags Unplugged, Caelum Gallery, New York, NY
2015 Pressure Points. DC Arts Center. Washington, D.C.
2015 (Solo Exhibition) Affirmations. Anacostia Arts Center. Washington, D.C.
2013 Faculty Show. Art Works Studio School. Mt. Rainier, MD
2013 Shared Minds: Art & Design Education Student Teachers and Their Students. Pratt Institute. Brooklyn, NY.
Berkon, Eliza. "This New Art Exhibit Is All About Bodies, But Not Kind the Media Shows Us." DCist. September 13th, 2018
Jakubowski, Mikey & Zulch, Meg. "Affirming Black Beauty Through Safe Spaces: Ashley Ja'nae," Hooligan Magazine Issue #12. Wilson, Aileen & Martin, Camille T. The Art of the Art and Design Assignment: Pratt Institute. 2014. Print